I love to cuddle. I love to hold my babies and watch them breathe. I love the peaceful look on their faces as they lay next to me sound asleep. I love being a mommy.
These are the best times, however, I also love being married. I love my husband and I love to be in his arms at night and falling asleep with his arm around me. This is something that has not happened in a long time because our baby girl has been sleeping between us for almost a year. Turkey two only sleeps through the night once in a blue moon. She sufferers from, “I want to cuddle next to mommy and daddy all night syndrome.” So, she ends up in our bed every night. We wake up with her kicking our heads or crying for our pillow….
This was fine until…well until it wasn’t. She stopped going to sleep easily, we would have to lay with her for hours until she fell asleep. Her nap time consisted of the two of us taking a nap in my bed everyday. I had to lay next to her for her to stay asleep. This sounds wonderful until I realized that I was getting no time for myself and zero alone time and that was leading to depression.
Also, I was never seeing my husband. One of us would go to bed with her around 8:30-9:00 in the evening.
So…after much thought I decided…we decided…that she needed to be made to sleep in her own bed, by herself, every night….
WOW!!!!!! This is hard….
- Every night for a least an hour we are fighting her to get her to stay in her bed and she screams like she is being beaten. She gets out of bed and stands at the top of the stairs screaming. I walk up, put her to bed, get her to calm down and start to leave. When I leave she follows me or lays there and screams…. This goes on until she wears herself out.
- She will fall asleep around 10:00 and she is up at 2:00 am. She cries and comes out of her room. I go put her back, calm her down, and leave her room.
- At 3:00, she is still getting out of her room and screaming. By this time I spank her and put her back to bed. An hour is all I can take…
- At 3:30, I am about ready to lose it and she finally falls asleep.
- At 5:00, she does the same time again…same routine…
- 7:30, we are up for the day!
I feel like a total failure as a parent. I feel like a horrible, mean person who is neglecting her child…
Some people in my family keep saying…they are only little once…let her sleep with you…what is the big deal…
The big deal is that to keep a happy marriage, I need time with my husband. I need to see him and talk with him and that is just not happening with our current situation.
Yesterday and today she refused to lay down for a nap and I again had to spank her to keep her in her bed…this sucks!
What should I do? How can I help her?
We tried the all natural sleep medicine…did not help.
The doctor recommended turning the knob around and locking her in her room….just do not know if I can do that to her….
Feeling like a loser of a mother…